- IU Press Journals
- Victorian Studies
Edited by Ivan Kreilkamp, D. Rae Greiner, Monique Morgan and Lara Kriegel
- ISSN: 0042-5222
- eISSN: 1527-2052
- Keywords: Aesthetics, Cultural Studies, Literary Criticism, Literary Studies, Literature, Novels, Poetry, Theater, Victorian Literature, Victorian Studies
For more than half a century, Victorian Studies has been devoted to the study of British culture of the Victorian age. It regularly includes interdisciplinary articles on comparative literature, social and political history, and the histories of education, philosophy, fine arts, economics, law, and science, as well as review essays and an extensive book review section.
Victorian Studies is the official publication of the North American Victorian Studies Association (NAVSA).
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
Editorial Office Contact InformationEditors, Victorian Studies
Ballantine Hall 440
Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Telephone: (812) 855-9533
Fax: (812) 855-9534
Email: [email protected]
- Ivan Kreilkamp, Indiana University, USA
- D. Rae Greiner, Indiana University, USA
- Lara Kriegel, Indiana University, USA
- Monique Morgan, Indiana University, USA
- Denny Weisz, Indiana University, USA
- Abby Clayton, Indiana University, USA
Book Review Editors
- Jaelyn Glennemeier, Indiana University, USA
- Evan Leake, Indiana University, USA
- Philip Appleman, Indiana University, USA
- Donald Gray, Indiana University, USA
- George Levine, Indiana University, USA
- William Madden, Indiana University, USA
- Michael Wolff, Indiana University, USA
- James Eli Adams, Indiana University, USA
- Tanya Agathocleous, Indiana University, USA
- Isobel Armstrong, Indiana University, USA
- Sukanya Banerjee, Indiana University, USA
- Antoinette Burton, Indiana University, USA
- Pamela M. Fletcher, Indiana University, USA
- Elaine Freedgood, Indiana University, USA
- Anne Helmreich, Indiana University, USA
- John Kucich, Indiana University, USA
- Andrew H. Miller, Indiana University, USA
- Elizabeth Carolyn Miller, Indiana University, USA
- Lynda Nead, Indiana University, USA
- John Plotz, Indiana University, USA
- Harriet Ritvo, Indiana University, USA
- Jason Rudy, Indiana University, USA
- Talia Schaffer, Indiana University, USA
- Cannon Schmitt, Indiana University, USA
- Sambudha Sen, Indiana University, USA
- Herbert F. Tucker, Indiana University, USA
Victorian Studies is eager to publish scholarship that represents the most advanced work of its particular discipline as well as intrinsically interdisciplinary scholarship designed to appeal to a diverse audience of historians, literary scholars, art historians, and others. We welcome essays that develop an argument of broad scope or bring attention to an understudied archive. We continually aim to publish essays which push the field in new directions through their interpretations of texts, cultures, arts, and historical moments.
A manuscript that has been published or that is currently under consideration for publication elsewhere in either article or book form should not be submitted to Victorian Studies. The editors will not consider submissions that duplicate other published works in either wording or substance.
All manuscripts should be double-spaced and should conform to MLA Handbook guidelines, with parenthetical documentation and a list of works cited. Manuscripts should be between 8,000 and 10,000 words, inclusive of endnotes and bibliography. Informational endnotes should be kept to a strict minimum. For blind reading purposes, the author’s name, affiliation, and contact information should be included in the body of the submission email and not in the manuscript itself. We welcome all submissions by email at [email protected]. Attachments should be formatted as Word documents. Please do not send manuscripts in PDF format. Questions and other editorial correspondence may be addressed by email to [email protected].
Victorian Studies (VS) is dedicated to following best practices on ethical matters, errors, and retractions. The prevention of publication malpractice is one of the important responsibilities of the editorial board. Any kind of unethical behavior is unacceptable, and VS does not tolerate plagiarism in any form. Authors submitting articles to VS affirm that manuscript contents are original.
The following duties outlined for editors, authors, and reviewers are based on the MLA guidelines.
Duties of Editor
Publication Decisions: Based on external review report(s) and/or at his/her own discretion, the editor can accept, reject, or request modifications to the manuscript.
Review of Manuscripts: Editors must ensure that each manuscript is initially evaluated by the editor for originality. Following desk review, the manuscript will be sent out for blind peer review, which the editors will use to determine whether to accept, reject, or request revisions for the manuscript. Editors will rely on outside reviewers for expertise whenever necessary.
Fair Review: The editors must ensure that each manuscript received by VS is reviewed for its intellectual content without regard to the sex, gender, race, religion, citizenship, etc. of the author.
Confidentiality: The editors must ensure that information regarding manuscripts submitted by the authors is kept confidential.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: The editors of VS will not use unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted manuscript for their own research without written consent of the author.
Duties of Authors
Reporting Standards: Authors should present an accurate account of their original research as well as an objective discussion of its significance. Manuscripts will follow the submission guidelines of the journal.
Originality: Authors must ensure that they have written original work and have properly cited other scholarship whenever necessary.
Multiple, Redundant, or Concurrent Publications: Authors should not submit the same manuscript to more than one journal concurrently. It is also expected that authors will not publish redundant manuscripts or manuscripts describing the same research in more than one journal.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
Authorship of the Paper: Authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to conception, design, execution or interpretation of the reported study. Others who have made significant contribution must be listed as co-authors. Authors ensure that all the co-authors have seen and agreed to the submitted version of the manuscript and to their inclusion as co-authors.
Data Access and Retention: Authors should provide raw data related to their manuscript for editorial review and must retain such data.
Fundamental Errors in Published Works: If at any point an author discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in a submitted manuscript, then it must be reported to the editor.
Duties of Reviewers
Confidentiality: Information regarding manuscripts submitted by authors should be kept confidential and be treated as privileged information.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Manuscript reviewers must ensure that authors have acknowledged all sources of data used in the research. Any kind of similarity or overlap between the manuscript under consideration and any published book or essay of which the reviewer has personal knowledge must be immediately brought to the editor’s notice.
Standards of Objectivity: Review of submitted manuscripts must be done objectively; reviewers should express their views clearly with supporting arguments.
Promptness: In the event that a reviewer feels it is not possible for him/her to complete the review of a manuscript within the stipulated time, then this information must be communicated to the editor, so that the manuscript can be sent to another reviewer and/or a decision can be made in-house.
- Association for Asian Studies: Bibliography of Asian Studies (Online)
- Canada in Context
- Clarivate Analytics: Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Current Contents
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: Dietrich’s Index Philosophicus
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ – Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search: Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCOhost: America: History and Life
- EBSCOhost: Art & Architecture Complete
- EBSCOhost: Art & Architecture Index
- EBSCOhost: Art & Architecture Source
- EBSCOhost: Art Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Art Index (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: Gender Studies Database
- EBSCOhost: Historical Abstracts (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities & Social Sciences Index Retrospective: 1907-1984 (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index Retrospective: 1907-1984 (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Complete
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source
- EBSCOhost: International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: Left Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Plus
- EBSCOhost: MainFile
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Poetry & Short Story Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Social Sciences Index Retrospective: 1907-1983 (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX
- EBSCOhost: TOC Premier (Table of Contents)
- EBSCOhost: UK & Ireland Reference Centre
- EBSCOhost: Women’s Studies International
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic ASAP
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Book Review Index Plus
- Gale: Educator’s Reference Complete
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- Gale: Professional Collection
- Gale: Shakespeare Collection
- Gale: Student Resources in Context
- Gale: US History in Context
- Gale: World History in Context
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Humanities Index (Online)
- OCLC: Periodical Abstracts
- ProQuest: Art, Design & Architecture Collection
- ProQuest: Arts & Humanities Database
- ProQuest: Arts Premium Collection
- ProQuest: Health & Medical Collection
- ProQuest: Hospital Premium Collection
- ProQuest: Literary Journals Index Full Text
- ProQuest: Medical Database
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Research Library
- ProQuest: The Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature (ABELL)