- IU Press Journals
- Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society
Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society
A Quarterly Journal in American Philosophy
Edited by Cornelis de Waal
- Keywords: American Philosophy, Critical Philosophy, Emotional Expression, Modern Philosophy, Oratory, Philosophical Psychology, Philosophy, Political Philosophy, Pragmatism, Social Philosophy
Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society has been the premier peer-reviewed journal specializing in the history of American philosophy since its founding in 1965. Although it is named for the founder of American pragmatism, American philosophers of all schools and periods, from the colonial to the recent past, are extensively discussed. The journal regularly includes essays, and every significant book published in the field is discussed in a review essay. A subscription includes membership in the Charles S. Peirce Society.
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
Editorial Office Contact InformationProfessor Cornelis de Waal
Department of Philosophy
425 University Blvd
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Email: [email protected]
- Cornelis de Waal
- Robert Lane
- Dwayne Tunstall
Book Review Editor
- Henrik Rydenfelt
- Thomas Alexander
- Mats Bergman
- Richard J. Bernstein
- Rosa M. Calcaterra
- James Campbell
- Vincent Colapietro
- Gary A. Cook
- Marilyn Fischer
- Mathias Girel
- Susan Haack
- Larry A. Hickman
- David Hildebrand
- John Lachs
- James Liszka
- John J. McDermott
- Erin McKenna
- Robert G. Meyers
- Cheryl Misak
- Matthew Moore
- Jaime Nubiola
- Jose-Antonio Orosco
- Gregory Fernando Pappas
- Don D. Roberts
- Sandra B. Rosenthal
- John Ryder
- John R. Shook
- T. L. Short
- Beth Singer
- John J. Stuhr
- Shannon Sullivan
- Paul C. Taylor
- Jennifer Welchman
For information regarding the formatting of submissions, please see Information for Contributors.
Electronic submission of manuscripts is preferred but hard copy submission is permissible. Manuscript submissions should be prepared for and submitted to
Professor Cornelis de Waal
Department of Philosophy
425 University Blvd
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Email: [email protected]
Publishers that have books for review are asked to contact the book-review editor, Dr. Henrik Rydenfelt, so that arrangements can be made where to send the book. He can be reached directly at [email protected].
The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society (TCSPS) is dedicated to following best practices on ethical matters, errors, and retractions. The prevention of publication malpractice is one of the important responsibilities of the journal. Any kind of unethical behavior is not acceptable, and TCSPS does not tolerate plagiarism in any form. Authors submitting articles to TCSPS affirm that manuscript contents are original.
The following duties outlined for editors, authors, and reviewers are based on the COPE Code of Conduct for Journal Editors (https://publicationethics.org).
Duties of Editors
Publication Decisions: Following a review of the manuscript, the editor can accept, reject, or request modifications to the manuscript.
Review of Manuscripts: The editors will evaluate each manuscript for originality, whether it meets the submission criteria, and whether it carries sufficient promise of contributing to the mission of the journal. Except for book reviews and exceptional circumstances where a clear rationale for departure can be given, manuscripts that pass initial editorial review must be sent out for double-blind external peer review, which the editors will use to determine whether to accept, reject, or request revisions for the manuscript.
Fair Review: The editors must ensure that the chosen external reviewers are suitably qualified to judge the intellectual content of the manuscript submitted. The editors must further ensure that each manuscript is reviewed, internally as well as externally, for its intellectual content without regard to sex, gender, race, religion, citizenship, etc. of its authors.
Confidentiality: The editors must ensure that the identities of authors and reviewers as well as any material submitted, including correspondence, is kept confidential. With regard to the authors, the confidentiality of their identity and of the text of their (revised) submission ends only when the manuscript is accepted for publication.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: The editors will not use unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted manuscript for their own research without written consent of the author, and a policy is in place to handle conflicts of interest.
Complaints and Concerns: Complaints and concerns must be addressed immediately by investigating the validity of the complaint and taking appropriate steps. If the editors and the complainant cannot come to a resolution, the issue is escalated to the Executive Committee of the Charles S. Peirce Society. If the Executive Committee is unable to address the issue itself, it will appoint a committee drawn from the journal’s board of consulting editors with the charge of looking into the issue and make recommendations to the Executive Committee. The consulting editors are listed in the journal’s masthead.
Duties of Authors
Reporting Standards: Authors should present an accurate account of their original research as well as an objective discussion of its significance. Manuscripts will follow the submission guidelines of the journal.
Originality: Authors must ensure that they have written entirely original work.
Multiple, Redundant, or Concurrent Publications: Authors should not submit the same manuscript to more than one journal concurrently. It is also expected that the author will not publish redundant manuscripts or manuscripts describing the same research in more than one journal.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
Authorship of the Paper: Authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to conception, design, execution or interpretation of the reported study. Others who have made significant contribution must be listed as co-authors. Authors also ensure that all the authors have seen and agreed to the submitted version of the manuscript and their inclusion of names as co-authors.
Data Access and Retention: Authors should provide raw data related to their manuscript for editorial review and must retain such data.
Fundamental Errors in Published Works: If at any point of time, the author(s) discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in a submitted manuscript, the error or inaccuracy must be reported to the editor.
Duties of Reviewers
Confidentiality: Information regarding manuscripts submitted for review should be kept confidential and be treated as privileged information.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Manuscript reviewers must ensure that authors have acknowledged all sources of data used in the research. Any kind of similarity or overlap between the manuscripts under consideration or with any other published paper of which reviewer has personal knowledge must be brought to the editor's notice.
Standards of Objectivity: Review of submitted manuscripts must be done objectively and the reviewers should express their views clearly with supporting arguments.
Promptness: In the event that a reviewer feels it is not possible for him/her to complete review of manuscript within stipulated time then this information must be communicated to the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another reviewer.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: Reviewers for TCSPS may not use unpublished materials disclosed in a manuscript that was submitted for their review for their own research without written consent of the author, and they must immediately notify the editors of potential conflicts of interest.
- Clarivate Analytics: Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Current Contents
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: Dietrich's Index Philosophicus
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search: Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCOhost: America: History and Life
- EBSCOhost: ATLA Religion Database
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Complete
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source
- EBSCOhost: MainFile
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Poetry & Short Story Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Religion & Philosophy Collection
- EBSCOhost: The Philosopher's Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: TOC Premier (Table of Contents)
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Book Review Index Plus
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Humanities Index (Online)
- Ovid: The Philosopher's Index (Online)
- Peeters Publishers: Repertoire Bibliographique de la Philosophie (Online)
- ProQuest: Art, Design & Architecture Collection
- ProQuest: Arts & Humanities Database
- ProQuest: Arts Premium Collection
- ProQuest: Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (Online), Selective
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: Philosophy Collection
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000 International
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Religion Database
- ProQuest: Research Library
- ProQuest: The Philosopher's Index (Online)