- IU Press Journals
- Research in African Literatures
Research in African Literatures
Edited by Kwaku Larbi Korang
Research in African Literatures
- Keywords: African Culture, African Literature, African Studies, Arts & Culture, Literary Studies, Modern Literature, Narratives, Poetry, Secularism, Theology
Research in African Literatures, founded in 1970, is the premier journal of African literary studies worldwide and provides a forum in English for research on the oral and written literatures of Africa. In addition to thought-provoking essays, reviews of current scholarly books appear in every issue, often presented as critical essays, and a forum offers readers the opportunity to respond to issues raised in articles and book reviews. Thematic clusters of articles and frequent special issues reveal the broad interests of its readership.
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
Editorial Office Contact InformationEditor
Research in African Literatures
The Ohio State University
486 University Hall
230 N. Oval Mall
Columbus, OH 43210
Email: [email protected]
- Kwaku Larbi Korang (The Ohio State University)
- Adélékè Adéèkó (The Ohio State University)
- Cheik Thiam (The Ohio State University)
- Molly Reinhoudt
- Bernth Lindfors (The University of Texas, Austin, 1970-89)
- Richard Bjornson (The Ohio State University, 1990-92)
- F. Abiola Irele (The Ohio State University, 1992-2003)
- John Conteh-Morgan (The Ohio State University, 2003-08)
- Susan Z. Andrade (University of Pittsburgh)
- Kofi Anyidoho (Universitiy of Ghana)
- Rita Barnard (University of Pennsylvania)
- Carine Bourget (University of Arizona)
- Laura Chrisman (University of Washington)
- Gaurav Desai (University of Michigan)
- Simon Gikandi (Princeton University)
- Kenneth W. Harrow (Michigan State University)
- Waïl Hassan (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
- Anthonia Kalu (The Ohio State University)
- Catherine Kroll (Sonoma State University)
- Ruthmarie H. Mitsch (Managing Editor, RAL, 1989-2012)
- Lydie Moudileno (University of Pennsylvania)
- H. Adlai Murdoch (Tufts University)
- Patrice Nganang (Stony Brook University)
- Obioma Nnaemeka (Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis)
- Tejumola Olaniyan (University of Wisconsin)
- Anjali Prabhu (Wellesley College)
- Ato Quayson (Stanford University)
- Micheline Rice-Maximin (Swarthmore College)
Authors may view the journal's style guide and submit manuscripts for consideration via the journal's online submissions portal. Registration for the site can be found here. A tutorial for registering with the site can be found here. Inquiries concerning manuscript submission should be directed to the editorial staff at [email protected].
Research in African Literatures (RAL) is dedicated to following best practices on ethical matters, errors, and retractions. The prevention of publication malpractice is one of the important responsibilities of the editorial board. Any kind of unethical behavior is unacceptable, and RAL does not tolerate plagiarism in any form. Authors submitting articles to RAL affirm that manuscript contents are original.
The following duties outlined for editors, authors, and reviewers are based on the AACE guidelines, which are in turn based on the COPE Code of Conduct for Journal Editors. Editors, authors, and reviewers will also adhere to the AACE and SITE submission guideline policies.
Duties of Editor
Publication Decisions: Based on the review report of the external evaluators, the editor can accept, reject, or request modifications to the manuscript.
Review of Manuscripts: The editor must ensure that each manuscript is initially evaluated for originality. Following desk review, the manuscript will be sent out for blind peer review, which the editor will use to determine whether to accept, reject, or request revisions for the manuscript.
Fair Review: The editor must ensure that each manuscript received by RAL is reviewed for its intellectual content without regard to sex, gender, race, religion, citizenship, etc. of the authors.
Confidentiality: The editor must ensure that information regarding manuscripts submitted by the authors is kept confidential.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: The editor of RAL will not use unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted manuscript for their own research without written consent of the author.
Duties of Authors
Reporting Standards: Authors should present an accurate account of their original research as well as an objective discussion of its significance. Manuscripts will follow the submission guidelines of the journal.
Originality: Authors must ensure that they have written entirely original work.
Multiple, Redundant, or Concurrent Publications: Authors should not submit the same manuscript to more than one journal concurrently. It is also expected that the author will not publish redundant manuscripts or manuscripts describing the same research in more than one journal.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
Authorship of the Paper: Papers should include the names of all authors at the time of submission. Authors also ensure that all the co-authors have agreed to the submitted version of the manuscript and their inclusion of names.
Data Access and Retention: Authors should provide raw data related to their manuscript for editorial review and must retain such data.
Fundamental Errors in Published Works: If at any point of time, the author(s) discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in submitted manuscript, then the error or inaccuracy must be reported to the managing editor.
Duties of Reviewers
Confidentiality: Information regarding manuscripts submitted by authors should be kept confidential and be treated as privileged information.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Manuscript reviewers must ensure that authors have acknowledged all sources of data used in the research. The reviewer should notify the managing editor if the paper under consideration bears strong similarities to other published papers of which the reviewer has personal knowledge.
Standards of Objectivity: Review of submitted manuscripts must be done objectively and the reviewers should express their views clearly with supporting arguments.
Promptness: In the event that a reviewer feels it is not possible for him/her to complete review of manuscript within stipulated time then this information must be communicated to the managing editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another reviewer.
- Brill: Linguistic Bibliography (Online)
- Canada in Context
- Chadwyck-Healey: International Index to Black Periodicals
- Clarivate Analytics: Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Current Contents
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search: Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Caribbean Search
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: Film & Television Literature Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities & Social Sciences Index Retrospective: 1907-1984 (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Complete
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source
- EBSCOhost: Index Islamicus Online
- EBSCOhost: International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Plus
- EBSCOhost: MainFile
- EBSCOhost: Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Poetry & Short Story Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Russian Academy of Sciences Bibliographies
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX
- EBSCOhost: Sociological Collection
- EBSCOhost: Women's Studies International
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic ASAP
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Advanced Placement Fine Arts and Music
- Gale: Biography in Context
- Gale: Book Review Index Plus
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: Fine Arts and Music Collection
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: General Reference Center
- Gale: General Reference Center Gold
- Gale: General Reference Center International
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- Gale: Student Edition
- Gale: Student Resources in Context
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Humanities Index (Online)
- OCLC: Periodical Abstracts
- ProQuest: Art, Design & Architecture Collection
- ProQuest: Arts Premium Collection
- ProQuest: Ethnic NewsWatch
- ProQuest: Index Islamicus Online
- ProQuest: International Bibliography of the Social Sciences, Core
- ProQuest: Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (Online), Selective
- ProQuest: Literary Journals Index Full Text
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Research Library
- ProQuest: Social Science Premium Collection
- ProQuest: The Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature (ABELL)
- Sage Publications, Inc.: Abstracts in Anthology (Online)