- IU Press Journals
- Journal of Folklore Research
Journal of Folklore Research
An International Journal of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Edited by Solimar Otero
Journal of Folklore Research
- Keywords: Animals, Cultural History, Cultural Identity, Cultural Studies, Folk Culture, Folklore Studies, Folktales, Material Culture, Narratives, Rituals
The Journal of Folklore Research, provides an international forum for current theory and research among scholars of traditional cultures. Each issue includes articles of theoretical interest to folklore and ethnomusicology as international disciplines, as well as essays that address the fieldwork experience and the intellectual history of folklore. Contributors include scholars and professionals in such additional fields as anthropology, area studies, communication, cultural studies, history, linguistics, literature, performance studies, religion, and semiotics.
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
Journal of Folklore Research
800 East Third St
Bloomington IN 47405 USA
Email: [email protected]
- Solimar Otero, Indiana University, United States
- Marisa Wieneke, Indiana University, United States
- Andrew Tompkins, Indiana University, United States
Associate Editor for Ethnomusicology
- David A. McDonald, Indiana University, United States
Associate Editor for Material Culture
- Pravina Shukla, Indiana University, United States
- Ray Cashman, Indiana University, United States
- Diane Goldstein, Indiana University, United States
- Katherine Borland, The Ohio State University, United States
- Fernando Fischman, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Michael Dylan Foster, University of California-Davis, United States
- Lisa Gilman, George Mason University
- Greg Kelley, University of Guelph-Humber, Canada
- John Laudun, University of Louisiana, United States
- David Todd Lawrence, University of St. Thomas
- James P. Leary, University of Wisconsin, United States
- Carl Lindahl, University of Houston, United States
- Sabina Magliocco, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Tom Mould, Butler University, United States
- Dorothy Noyes, The Ohio State University, United States
- Elliot Oring, California State University, Los Angeles, United States
- Jill Terry Rudy, Brigham Young University
- Patricia Sawin, University of North Carolina, United States
- Jennifer Schacker, University of Guelph, Canada
- Amy Shuman, The Ohio State University, United States
- Theresa Vaughn, University of Central Oklahoma, United States
- Juwen Zhang, Willamette University, United States
Authors may register with the Journal of Folklore Research and submit manuscripts for consideration via the Journal's online submissions portal: http://www.jfr.indiana.edu. All submissions should be accompanied by an abstract of no more than 250 words, an author biography of no more than 50 words, and three to five keywords. Manuscripts must be submitted in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or in Rich-Text (.rtf) format. All text, including quotations and endnotes, should be double-spaced; in style and presentation, text should conform to the 16th edition of the Chicago Manual of Style. Authors without ready access to the CMS may consult the Submissions section of the website, which includes an abbreviated style sheet, a sample article, and instructions for ensuring blind peer review.
Visual elements should be submitted in digital form. Please scan images (including slides) at a resolution of 300 dpi, in TIF or EPS format. Size all images to no more than 5 inches (12.5 cm) horizontally. All images, tables, diagrams, and figures should be uploaded as supplemental files rather than embedded in the manuscript itself. In the manuscript file, please indicate where each graphic should appear by inserting a "callout" description in the appropriate location (e.g., ). Drawings and maps must be submitted in a form suitable for publication without redrawing. Submit captions for all graphic elements by completing the supplemental file information form during the manuscript submission phase.
Inquiries concerning manuscript submission should be directed to the JFR editorial staff at [email protected].
JFR Reviews (JFRR)
JFRR offers timely and concise reviews of recent works (including books, museum exhibits, scholarly websites, DVD and CD-ROM productions, and video and film documentaries) relevant to the discipline of folkloristics, delivered directly and free of charge to individuals through an e-mail subscription list, as well as online at the Journal of Folklore Research website, where they are permanently archived. To sign up for this service and to search reviews posted on-line, go to http://www.jfr.indiana.edu and follow the links to JFR Reviews. Inquiries concerning reviews should be directed to the JFRR editorial staff at [email protected].
The Journal of Folklore Research (JFR) follows best practices regarding ethical matters, including errors and retractions. Preventing publication malpractice is paramount among the editorial board’s responsibilities. Any unethical behavior on the part of editors, authors, or reviewers is unacceptable. JFR does not tolerate plagiarism in any form.
The following responsibilities for editors and copy editors, authors, and reviewers are based on the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) conduct guidelines.
Responsibilities for Editors
Publication Decisions: Editors accept, reject, or request changes to submissions, taking into account the conclusions of the peer review process.
Manuscript Review: Editors evaluate each submission to ensure that it merits consideration based on originality of content, scholarly excellence, and contribution to the field.
Fair Review: Editors ensure each submission is reviewed on the basis of its intellectual content without regard for the sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, race, ethnicity, nationality, citizenship status, religious affiliation, or political affiliation of the author(s).
Confidentiality: Editors ensure that all information submitted by authors regarding submissions remains confidential.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: Editors refrain from using unpublished materials disclosed in a submission for their own research without obtaining the written consent of the author(s).
Standards: Editors are responsible for guaranteeing that published materials meet stringent scholarly standards of accuracy, clarity, and originality.
Provision of Guidelines: Editors provide authors with submission guidelines via JFR’s website and upon request.
Responsibilities for Authors
Authorship: The designation of authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to the submission. All persons who have made such contributions must be listed as co-authors. Authors must ensure that all listed authors have both seen and agreed to the submission and to the inclusion of their names as co-authors.
Originality: Authors ensure that the work they submit for publication is entirely original.
Acknowledgment of sources: Authors acknowledge and fully cite all sources used and all publications that influenced their research.
Fundamental Errors: If at any time authors discover serious errors or inaccuracies in their submissions, then the errors or inaccuracies must be reported to the editors immediately upon discovery.
Review Process: Authors address and respond to the comments and suggestions of editors and reviewers.
Content: Authors eschew racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, ableist, ageist, or otherwise prejudiced or otherwise abusive writing. Such writing will not be accepted.
Concurrent, Multiple, or Redundant Publications: Authors inform editors if the submission has been submitted to, is under review by, or has been previously published in another publication, in English or in any other language.
Consent to Publish: Authors consent to the publication of the final version of their submission by signing an Indiana University Press Consent to Publish Agreement and, if necessary, a Permissions Agreement regarding Illustration and Artwork.
Responsibilities for Reviewers
Objectivity: Reviewers evaluate submissions in an objective manner and express their views clearly with supporting arguments.
Conflicts of Interest: Reviewers disclose to the editor immediately any potential conflicts of interest or competing interests that arise in their review.
Confidentiality: Reviewers keep confidential all information regarding authors’ submissions. Reviewers themselves remain anonymous throughout the review process.
Promptness: Reviewers evaluate submissions in a timely manner, by the deadline agreed to with the editors. If a reviewer feels it is not possible for them to complete their review within the specified time frame, then they must communicate this information to the editor as soon as possible.
Source Acknowledgment: Reviewers ensure that authors acknowledge all sources used in their submissions. If a reviewer finds any similarity or overlap between submissions under review, or with any other published paper of which reviewer has personal knowledge, they must notify the editors immediately.
- Clarivate Analytics: Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Current Contents
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: Dietrich's Index Philosophicus
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: America: History and Life
- EBSCOhost: Anthropological Index Online
- EBSCOhost: Art & Architecture Complete
- EBSCOhost: Art & Architecture Index
- EBSCOhost: Art & Architecture Source
- EBSCOhost: Bibliography of Native North Americans
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: Historical Abstracts (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Complete
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source
- EBSCOhost: International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Plus
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- EBSCOhost: Music Index
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Poetry & Short Story Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Russian Academy of Sciences Bibliographies
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX
- EBSCOhost: TOC Premier (Table of Contents)
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Biography in Context
- Gale: Book Review Index Plus
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- Gale: Student Resources in Context
- Gale: US History Collection
- Gale: US History in Context
- Gale: World History Collection
- Gale: World History in Context
- Gale: World Scholar: Latin America & the Caribbean
- K I T L V Press: El (Online) (Excerpta Indonesica)
- OCLC: Anthropological Index Online
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Humanities Index (Online)
- ProQuest: Art, Design & Architecture Collection
- ProQuest: Arts & Humanities Database
- ProQuest: International Bibliography of the Social Sciences, Core
- ProQuest: Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (Online), Selective
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: Music & Performing Arts Collection
- ProQuest: Music Periodicals Database
- ProQuest: Performing Arts Periodicals Database
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Research Library
- ProQuest: Social Science Premium Collection
- ProQuest: The Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature (ABELL)
- Royal Anthropological Institute: Anthropological Index Online