- IU Press Journals
- Israel Studies
Edited by Ilan Troen, Natan Aridan and Arieh Saposnik
- Keywords: Cultural Identity, Ethnic Identity, Ethnicity, International Studies, Jewish Culture, Jewish Identity, Jewish Studies, Middle East Studies, National Identity, Political Science
Israel Studies presents multidisciplinary scholarship on Israeli history, politics, society, and culture. Each issue includes essays and reports on matters of broad interest reflecting diverse points of view. Temporal boundaries extend to the pre-state period, although emphasis is on the state of Israel. Due recognition is also given to events and phenomena in diaspora communities as they affect the Israeli state.
Israel Studies is sponsored by the Ben-Gurion Research Institute for the Study of Israel and Zionism at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and the Schusterman Center for Israel Studies at Brandeis University.
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
Ben-Gurion Research Institute for the Study of Israel and Zionism
Email: [email protected]
- Ilan Troen, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev / Brandeis University
- Natan Aridan, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Arieh Saposnik, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Arnold J. Band, University of California, Los Angeles
- Deborah Bernstein, University of Haifa
- Raphael Cohen-Almagor, University of Hull
- Donna Robinson Divine, Smith College
- Alan Dowty, University of Notre Dame
- Robert O. Freedman, Johns Hopkins University
- Aviva Halamish, The Open University of Israel
- Rachel Harris, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Ron Hassner, University of California, Berkeley
- Daniel Kurtzer, Princeton University
- Esther Meir, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Csaba Nikolenyi, Concordia University
- Kobi Peled, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev k
- Ilan Peleg, Lafayette College
- Shulamit Reinharz, Brandeis University
- Rachel Rojanski, Brown University
- Lilach Rosenberg-Friedman, Bar-Ilan University
- Arieh Saposnik, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Jonathan Sarna, Brandeis University
- Leonard Saxe, Brandeis University
- Gabi Sheffer, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Ofer Shiff, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Colin Shindler, S.O.A.S, University of London
- Kenneth Stein, Emory University
- Russell A. Stone, American University, Washington, D.C.
- S. Ilan Troen, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev / Brandeis University
- Chaim I. Waxman, Hadassah College, Jerusalem/Rutgers University
Israel Studies encourages multi-disciplinary scholarship on the development of Israeli society and culture and includes essays on Israeli history, literature, political science, economics, sociology, anthropology, and historical geography. Temporal boundaries include the pre-state period although emphasis is on the State of Israel. Attention is given to the study of the different groups that constitute Israeli society. Due recognition is also given to events and phenomena in Israel's diaspora communities as they affect the state.
For information regarding the formatting of submissions, please see Guidelines for Contributors.
- Strive to meet the needs of readers and authors;
- Constantly improve the journal;
- Ensure the quality of the material we publish;
- Facilitate freedom of expression;
- Maintain the integrity of the academic record;
- Are uncompromising in maintaining intellectual standards;
- Are always willing to publish corrections, clarifications, retractions and apologies when needed.
- Editors should have systems for managing their own conflicts of interest as well as those of their staff, authors, reviewers and Editorial board members.
Relations with Authors
- We take all reasonable steps to ensure the quality of the material we publish.
- Guidelines for authors appear on our website and upon request will be sent to those requesting them. We convey to all authors a clear set of expectations when publishing with Israel Studies.
- Our decisions to accept or reject an article for publication are based only on the paper’s importance, originality, and clarity, and the study’s relevance to the remit of the journal.
- Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
- Authors are requested to state whether the article has been submitted to or is under review with another publication.
- Authors are requested to state whether the article has previously been published in another language and if so, to furnish details.
- Articles are blind, peer-reviewed by between two and five reviewers.
- Authors receive reviewer comments within two months of review.
- Upon receipt of our reviewers’ comments, suggestions, and requests for changes necessary for publication, authors are asked to address all comments and suggestions by the reviewers in the resubmitted article.
Relations with Reviewers
- All peer reviewers’ identities are blind and protected.
- Reviewers receive guidelines on what is expected of them.
- Reviewers are informed to the best of our knowledge on who has funded the research and on the role of the funders in the research.
- Reviewers will not be approached where a conflict of interest is detected.
- Complaints and concerns are immediately addressed by investigating the validity of the complaint and taking appropriate steps.
- We encourage scholarly discussion and debate. Cogent criticisms of published work may be addressed and, depending on length, such comment may be published as a follow-up article. Note: we do not have a letters column.
Encouraging Academic Integrity
- We aim to ensure that research material published conforms to internationally accepted ethical guidelines.
- Authors are requested to sign an Indiana University Press/Israel Studies Consent to Publish Agreement, and when accompanied by images, a Permissions Agreement Illustration and Artwork must be submitted as well. An article will not publish without these documents.
- If misconduct is suspected before taking the matter further, we will first seek a response from those accused.
Ensuring the Integrity of the Academic Record
- When it is recognized that a significant inaccuracy, misleading statement or distorted report has been published, we will endeavor to print a correction promptly and with due prominence.
- If, after an appropriate investigation, an item proves to be fraudulent, we will ensure that the retraction is clearly identifiable to readers, aggregators, and indexing systems.
Committee on Public Ethics (COPE)
Process for dealing with complaints against Editors referred to COPE, please see page 3 here.
- Canada in Context
- Clarivate Analytics: Emerging Sources Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search: Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCOhost: America: History and Life
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: Historical Abstracts (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Index Islamicus Online
- EBSCOhost: Index to Jewish Periodicals (Online)
- EBSCOhost: International Political Science Abstracts Database
- EBSCOhost: International Security & Counter Terrorism Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Jewish Studies Source
- EBSCOhost: MainFile
- EBSCOhost: Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Political Science Complete
- EBSCOhost: Public Affairs Index
- EBSCOhost: Religion & Philosophy Collection
- EBSCOhost: Risk Management Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Social Sciences Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Social Sciences Full Text (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX
- EBSCOhost: TOC Premier (Table of Contents)
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Advanced Placement Government and Social Studies
- Gale: Biography in Context
- Gale: Book Review Index Plus
- Gale: Diversity Studies Collection
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: General Reference Center Gold
- Gale: General Reference Center International
- Gale: Global Issues in Context
- Gale: GREENR (Global Reference on the Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources)
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- Gale: Religion and Philosophy Collection
- Gale: Research in Context
- Gale: Student Edition
- Gale: Student Resources in Context
- Gale: War and Terrorism Collection
- Gale: World History Collection
- Gale: World History in Context
- H.W. Wilson: Social Sciences Index
- National Library of Medicine: PubMed
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Sociological Abstracts (Online), Selective
- Ovid: International Political Science Abstracts Database
- ProQuest: Art, Design & Architecture Collection
- ProQuest: Arts & Humanities Database
- ProQuest: Arts Premium Collection
- ProQuest: Ethnic NewsWatch
- ProQuest: Index Islamicus Online
- ProQuest: International Bibliography of the Social Sciences, Core
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: PAIS Index (Public Affairs Information Service), Selective
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000 International
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Religion Database
- ProQuest: Research Library
- ProQuest: Social Science Database
- ProQuest: Social Science Premium Collection
- ProQuest: Sociological Abstracts (Online), Selective
- ProQuest: Worldwide Political Science Abstracts, Selective