- IU Press Journals
- History & Memory
History & Memory
Studies in Representation of the Past
Edited by Scott Ury
- Keywords: Commemorations, Cultural Studies, Holocaust, Human Rights, Jewish Studies, Military History, Narratives, Philosophy, Racism, War
History & Memory explores the manifold ways in which the past shapes the present and is shaped by present perceptions. We focus on a wide range of questions relating to the formation of historical consciousness and collective memory, the role of historical memory in modern and premodern cultures, and the relationship between historical research and images of the past in different societies and cultures. History & Memory aims to explore not only official representations of the past in public monuments and commemorations, but also the role of oral history and personal narratives, the influence of the new media in shaping historical consciousness, and the renewed relevance of history writing for emerging nations and social conflicts.
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
History & Memory
School of Graduate Historical Studies
Tel Aviv University
Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 6997801
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +972 (0)3 6409326
Fax: +972 (0)3 6409469
- Scott Ury
- Philippa Shimrat
- Kobi Kabalek
- Guy Beiner
- John Bodnar
- Jonathan Boyarin
- Florent Brayard
- Alon Confino
- Gil Eyal
- Saul Friedländer
- Patrick Geary
- Susan D. Gubar
- Marie-Claire Lavabre
- Billie Melman
- Jeffery K. Olick
- Luisa Passerini
- Alessandro Portelli
- Henry Rousso
- Eelco Runia
- Steve J. Stern
- Sanjay Subrahmanyam
- Susan Rubin Suleiman
- Ulrike Weckel
- Stephen D. White
- Dorothee Wierling
- Jay Winter
Manuscripts submitted to History & Memory should not be under simultaneous consideration by any other journal, nor should they have been published elsewhere. They should be between 8,000 and 14,000 words (including notes). For initial submission, there are no special format requirements. Authors should place their name and contact details on a separate cover page, along with a 100-word abstract, and delete all self-referencing material from text and notes to ensure anonymity of the refereeing process. Submissions should be sent electronically, via email attachment, in Word, to [email protected]
- Strive to meet the needs of readers and authors;
- Constantly improve the journal;
- Ensure the quality of the material we publish;
- Facilitate freedom of expression;
- Maintain the integrity of the academic record;
- Are uncompromising in maintaining intellectual standards;
- Are always willing to publish corrections, clarifications, retractions and apologies when needed.
- Editors should have systems for managing their own conflicts of interest as well as those of their staff, authors, reviewers and Editorial board members.
Relations with Authors
- We take all reasonable steps to ensure the quality of the material we publish.
- Guidelines for authors appear on our website and upon request will be sent to those requesting them. We convey to all authors a clear set of expectations when publishing with History & Memory.
- Our decisions to accept or reject an article for publication are based only on the paper's importance, originality, and clarity, and the study's relevance to the remit of the journal.
- Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
- Authors are requested to state whether the article has been submitted to or is under review with another publication.
- Authors are requested to state whether the article has previously been published in another language and if so, to furnish details.
- Articles are blind, peer-reviewed by two reviewers.
- Authors receive reviewer comments generally within three months of review.
- Upon receipt of our reviewers' comments, suggestions, and requests for changes necessary for publication, authors are asked to address all comments and suggestions by the reviewers in the resubmitted article.
Relations with Reviewers
- All peer reviewers' identities are blind and protected.
- Reviewers receive guidelines on what is expected of them.
- Reviewers will not be approached where a conflict of interest is detected.
- Complaints and concerns are immediately addressed by investigating the validity of the complaint and taking appropriate steps.
Encouraging Academic Integrity
- We aim to ensure that research material published conforms to internationally accepted ethical guidelines.
- Authors are requested to sign an Indiana University Press/History & Memory Consent to Publish Agreement, and when accompanied by images, a Permissions Agreement Illustration and Artwork must be submitted as well. An article will not publish without these documents.
- If misconduct is suspected before taking the matter further, we will first seek a response from those accused.
Ensuring the Integrity of the Academic Record
- When it is recognized that a significant inaccuracy, misleading statement or distorted report has been published, we will endeavor to print a correction promptly and with due prominence.
- If, after an appropriate investigation, an item proves to be fraudulent, we will ensure that the retraction is clearly identifiable to readers, aggregators, and indexing systems.
Committee on Public Ethics (COPE)
Process for dealing with complaints against Editors referred to COPE, please see here.
- Canada in Context
- Clarivate Analytics: Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Current Contents
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search: Main Edition
- EBSCOhost: Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCOhost: America: History and Life
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: Historical Abstracts (Online)
- EBSCOhost: History Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Abstracts (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Complete
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source
- EBSCOhost: Index to Jewish Periodicals (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Jewish Studies Source
- EBSCOhost: Literary Reference Center Plus
- EBSCOhost: MainFile
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Political Science Complete
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX with Full Text
- EBSCOhost: SocINDEX
- EBSCOhost: Sociological Collection
- EBSCOhost: TOC Premier (Table of Contents)
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic ASAP
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Advanced Placement Global History Collection
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: General Reference Center
- Gale: General Reference Center Gold
- Gale: General Reference Center International
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- Gale: Student Edition
- Gale: Student Resources in Context
- Gale: US History in Context
- Gale: World History Collection
- Gale: World History in Context
- Gale: World Scholar: Latin America & the Caribbean
- National Library of Medicine: PubMed
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Humanities Index (Online)
- OCLC: Sociological Abstracts (Online), Selective
- ProQuest: Ethnic NewsWatch
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Research Library
- ProQuest: Sociological Abstracts (Online), Selective
- ProQuest: Worldwide Political Science Abstracts, Selective