- IU Press Journals
Historical Studies in Science and Judaism
Edited by Dr. Reimund Leicht and Dr. Resianne Fontaine
- ISSN: 1565-1525
- eISSN: 1565-5423
- Keywords: Christian Philosophy, History, Jewish History, Jewish Literature, Jewish Studies, Judaic Philosophy, Literature, Medieval Literature, Philosophy, Treatises
- First Issue: Volume 1, number 1 (2001)
- Frequency: biannually
Aleph is devoted to the exploration of the interface between Judaism and science in history. We welcome contributions on any chapter in the history of science in which Judaism played a significant role, or on any chapter in the history of Judaism in which science played a significant role. Science is conceived very broadly, including the social sciences and the humanities. History of science is also broadly construed within its social and cultural dimensions.
Aleph is published in partnership with the Sidney M. Edelstein Center for the History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- Editorial Details
- Submission Info
- Publication Ethics
- Abstract & Index
- Additional Information
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
91904 Jerusalem, Israel
- Reimund Leicht
- Resianne Fontaine
- Esti Micenmacher
Editorial Advisory Board
- Yemima Ben-Menahem (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- Charles Burnett (The Warburg Institute, London)
- Gad Freudenthal (Centre national de la recherche scientifique, Paris)
- Ruth Glasner (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem),
- BernardR. Goldstein (University of Pittsburgh)
- Warren Zev Harvey (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- Y. Tzvi Langermann (Bar-Ilan University)
- Tony Lévy (Centre national de la recherche scientifique, Paris)
- Judith Olszowy-Schlanger (University of Oxford)
- James T. Robinson (University of Chicago)
- David B. Ruderman (University of Pennsylvania)
- Dov Schwartz (Bar-Ilan University)
- Shlomo Sela (Bar-Ilan University)
- David Wirmer (Universityof Cologne)
Aleph welcomes contributions on any chapter in the history of science in which Judaism played a significant role. The journal also welcomes proposals for comprehensive essays.
Aleph: Historical Studies in Science & Judaism (Aleph) is dedicated to following best practices on ethical matters, errors, and retractions. The prevention of publication malpractice is one of the important responsibilities of the editorial board. Any kind of unethical behavior is not acceptable, and Aleph does not tolerate plagiarism in any form. Authors submitting articles to Aleph affirm that manuscript contents are original.
The following duties outlined for editors, authors, and reviewers are based on the AACE guidelines, which are in turn based on the COPE Code of Conduct for Journal Editors. Editors, authors, and reviewers will also adhere to the AACE and SITE submission guideline policies.
Duties of Editor
Publication Decisions: Based on the review report of the editorial review board, the editor can accept, reject, or request modifications to the manuscript.
Review of Manuscripts: Each editor must ensure that each manuscript is initially evaluated by the editor for originality. Following desk review, the manuscript will be sent out for blind peer review, which the editors will use to determine whether to accept, reject, or request revisions for the manuscript.
Fair Review: The editors must ensure that each manuscript received by Aleph is reviewed for its intellectual content without regard to sex, gender, race, religion, citizenship, etc. of the authors.
Confidentiality: The editors must ensure that information regarding manuscripts submitted by the authors is kept confidential.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: The editors of Aleph will not use unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted manuscript for their own research without written consent of the author.
Duties of Authors
Reporting Standards: Authors should present an accurate account of their original research as well as an objective discussion of its significance. Manuscripts will follow the submission guidelines of the journal.
Originality: Authors must ensure that they have written entirely original work.
Multiple, Redundant, or Concurrent Publications: Authors should not submit the same manuscript to more than one journal concurrently. It is also expected that the author will not publish redundant manuscripts or manuscripts describing the same research in more than one journal.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
Authorship of the Paper: Authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to conception, design, execution or interpretation of the reported study. Others who have made significant contribution must be listed as co-authors. Authors also ensure that all the authors have seen and agreed to the submitted version of the manuscript and their inclusion of names as co-authors.
Data Access and Retention: Authors should provide raw data related to their manuscript for editorial review and must retain such data.
Fundamental Errors in Published Works: If at any point of time, the author(s) discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in submitted manuscript, then the error or inaccuracy must be reported to the editor.
Duties of Reviewers
Confidentiality: Information regarding manuscripts submitted by authors should be kept confidential and be treated as privileged information.
Acknowledgement of Sources: Manuscript reviewers must ensure that authors have acknowledged all sources of data used in the research. Any kind of similarity or overlap between the manuscripts under consideration or with any other published paper of which reviewer has personal knowledge must be immediately brought to the editor's notice.
Standards of Objectivity: Review of submitted manuscripts must be done objectively and the reviewers should express their views clearly with supporting arguments.
Promptness: In the event that a reviewer feels it is not possible for him/her to complete review of manuscript within stipulated time then this information must be communicated to the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another reviewer.
- Clarivate Analytics: Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Clarivate Analytics: Web of Science
- De Gruyter Saur: IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- De Gruyter Saur: Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Complete
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Elite
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: ATLA Religion Database
- EBSCOhost: Biography Index: Past and Present (H.W. Wilson), vol.31, no.1, 1984-vol.56, no.4, 2010
- EBSCOhost: Book Review Digest Plus (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Current Abstracts
- EBSCOhost: History Reference Center
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Abstract (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Index (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Complete
- EBSCOhost: Humanities International Index
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source
- EBSCOhost: Humanities Source Ultimate
- EBSCOhost: Index Islamicus Online
- EBSCOhost: Index to Jewish Periodicals (Online)
- EBSCOhost: Jewish Studies Source
- EBSCOhost: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson)
- EBSCOhost: TOC Premier (Table of Contents)
- Elsevier BV: Scopus
- Gale: Academic OneFile
- Gale: Book Review Index Plus
- Gale: Expanded Academic ASAP
- Gale: General OneFile
- Gale: InfoTrac Custom
- Gale: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- Gale: Religion and Philosophy Collection
- National Library of Medicine: PubMed
- OCLC: ArticleFirst
- OCLC: Electronic Collections Online
- OCLC: Humanities Index (Online)
- OCLC: Periodical Abstracts
- ProQuest: Index Islamicus Online
- ProQuest: MLA International Bibliography (Modern Language Association), coverage dropped
- ProQuest: Professional ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000
- ProQuest: ProQuest 5000 International
- ProQuest: ProQuest Central
- ProQuest: Religion Database
- ProQuest: Research Library
- Religious & Theological Abstracts