Until the advent of African independence, Africans were not considered fitting subjects for historical research and their words, voices, and experiences were largely absent from the continent's history.
In 13 lively and provocative essays focusing on all areas of Sub-Saharan Africa, oral sources are seen as a way to restore African expression to African history. African Words, African Voices evokes the richness and relevance of oral sources for understanding a complex past for readers at all levels.
Contributors include E. J. Alagoa, David William Cohen, Laura Fair, Babacar Fall, Tamara Giles-Vernick, Isabel Hofmeyr, Abdullahi A. Ibrahim, Corinne A. Kratz, Stephan F. Miescher, Bethwell Allan Ogot, Megan Vaughan, Luise White, and Kwesi Yankah.
Preliminary Table of Contents:
Introduction: Voices, Words, and African History David William Cohen, Stephan F. Miescher, and Luise White
Part 1. Giving Africa a History
1. The Construction of Luo Identity and History Bethwell Allan Ogot
2. Reported Speech and Other Kinds of Testimony Megan Vaughan
3. John Bunyan, His Chair, and a Few Other Relics: Orality, Literacy, and the Limits of Area Studies Isabel Hofmeyr
4. The Dialogue Between Academic and Community History in Nigeria E. J. Alagoa
5. The Birth of the Interview: The Thin and the Fat of It Abdullahi A. Ibrahim
Part 2. African Lives
6. Conversations and Lives Corinne A. Kratz
7. The Life Histories of Boakye Yiadom (Akasease Kofi of Abetifi, Kwawu): Exploring the Subjectivity and "Voices" of a Teacher-Catechist in Colonial Ghana Stephan F. Miescher
8. Lives, Histories, and Sites of Recollection Tamara Giles-Vernick
9. Senegalese Women in Politics: A Portrait of Two Female Leaders, Arame Diène and Thioumbé Samb, 1945-1996 Babacar Fall
Part 3. African Imaginations
10. Nana Ampadu, the Sung-Tale Metaphor, and Protest Discourse in Contemporary Ghana Kwesi Yankah
11. Voice, Authority, and Memory: The Kiswahili Recordings of Siti binti Saadi Laura Fair
12. In a Nation of White Cars . . . One White Car, or "A White Car," Becomes a Truth David William Cohen
13. True Stories: Narrative, Event, History, and Blood in the Lake Victoria Basin Luise White
Names of Conference Participants