From its roots as an independent community hospital started 116 years ago by local female leaders, IU Health Bloomington Hospital has grown and thrived while caring for citizens of south-central Indiana. This book highlights the perseverance, farsightedness, and dedication of health care providers and administrators, as well as community and business leaders, in shaping and expanding health care.
The stories of individual nurses and physicians, their expertise and empathy in treating patients, and the hospital's far-reaching social services reveal the indelible impact the hospital has made in the broad community. Patients' recollections of the medical care and personal attention they received depict the many ways they benefited and how their lives were improved and saved.
This book traces the hospital's journey from its first home in a small, red brick building, through numerous expansions and medical advances, to its integration with IU Health's statewide system. In its new home at the IU Health Regional Academic Health Center, the hospital will continue to flourish, with its state-of-the-art facilities and high-quality personnel who provide care to more than 467,600 people in the 11-county area they serve.
1. Over 116 Years, Hospital Offers Compassionate Care, Expands and Improves Services and Health in Community
2. Local Council of Women Creates First Hospital, Garners Public Support and Guides Hospital's Early Years
3. Hospital Reaches Milestones by Enlarging Facilities, Investing in Modern Technology and Attracting Top Health Care Providers
4. Hospital, Health Care Providers Meet Challenges, Crises and Deliver Vital Care, Social Services in Community
5. Patients and Hospital Staff Remember Times of Extraordinary Care and Acts of Kindness
6. Integration with IU Health Improves Hospital's Future, Leads to Creating State-of-the-Art Regional Academic Health Center
Bloomington Hospital Timeline
List of Donors