What happens when the stories we've been told fail us? In ten provocative and unsettling tales, Pedro Ponce grapples with the human instinct to create a narrative out of disparate experiences.
The Devil and the Dairy Princess interrogates the power of stories to impact us for good or ill. We are all taught that love is destined to happen with our soul mate and that hard work leads, eventually, to success. But when faced with circumstances that no longer fit the chosen narrative, some protagonists cling to their outmoded stories with greater fervor, while others realize the old stories no longer suffice so they choose to inhabit a new reality, new stories yet to be told.
Perfect for any reader who enjoys literary realism or speculative fiction, The Devil and the Dairy Princess reveals the episodic history of humanity's romance with narrative, from first love to break-up to hopeful reconciliation.
1. The Piazza de Chirico
2. The Discovery of Dr. James Osborne Beckett
3. The Presentation
4. The Well at Founders Grove
5. The Abbreviated Life of Whitney Bascombe
6. Divination by Water
7. Nuptial Superstitions of the West
8. The Possession of Charles Ignatius De Leon
9. The Devil and the Dairy Princess
10. In the Empire of Cetaceans