Contending with Antisemitism in a Rapidly Changing Political Climate
Published by: Indiana University Press
Today's highly fraught historical moment brings a resurgence of antisemitism. Antisemitic incidents of all kinds are on the rise across the world, including hate speech, the spread of neo-Nazi graffiti and other forms of verbal and written threats, the defacement of synagogues and Jewish cemeteries, and acts of murderous terror.
Contending with Antisemitism in a Rapidly Changing Political Climate is an edited collection of 18 essays that address antisemitism in its new and resurgent forms. Against a backdrop of concerning political developments such as rising nationalism and illiberalism on the right, new forms of intolerance and anti-liberal movements on the left, and militant deeds and demands by Islamic extremists, the contributors to this timely and necessary volume seek to better understand and effectively contend with today's antisemitism.
Part 1: The IHRA Definition of Antisemitism and Its Ramifications
1. The IHRA Definition and Its Critics, by Bernard Harrison and Lesley Klaff
2. Applying the IHRA Working Definition to the UN and Human Rights NGOs
Part 2: Intellectual and Ideological Currents of Antisemitism
3. Israel as a White Colonial Settler State in Activist Social Science
4. Traditionalism or the Perennial Philosophy
5. Antisemitism on the Left
Part 3: Antisemitism on College and University Campuses
6. Contending with Antisemitism in its Many Forms on American Campuses
7. In the Context of a Coarsened Climate
8. Rethinking Campus Antisemitism in America and How to Address It
Part 4: The Global Reach of Antisemitism
9. Orchestrating Public Blindness in Contemporary France
10. Legislating and Distorting the History of the Holocaust
11. The Changing Faces of European Antisemitism
12. Contradiction as Program
13. A "Serious Attack on Jewish Life"
14. What Role Does Antisemitism Play in Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party?
15. Antisemitism and the Left in the UK and the Global Significance of the Return of the "Jewish Question"
16. Rethinking the Role of Religion in the Arab-Israeli Conflict and its Reflection on Arab Antisemitic Discourse
17. Can the European Institutions Combat Antisemitism Effectively?